ACCF is overseen by a five-person board of directors, and assisted by staff.
Board of Directors
- Bryan Benz (Roseburg, OR). Bryan is currently a professor and the point of contact for the Natural Resource program at Umpqua Community College. He teaches courses about natural resources, botany, and biology. Prior to his position at Umpqua Community College, he worked as a botanist on the Umpqua National Forest for approximately 12 years. He recently completed his Education Doctorate from Portland State University and his research focused on the professional development of educators and a story of your place: The Perceptions of Rural Teachers Engaged in Environmental Education Professional Development Workshops: A Case Study of the Alder Creek Community Forest and the Story of Your Place. In his free time, he likes to travel and explore the natural world with his wife and their 18 year old pug.
- Nancee Hunter (Portland, OR). Nancee is Director of the Center for Geography Education in Oregon (C-GEO), housed at Portland State University. She has also served as the Director of Education at Oregon State University’s Hatfield Marine Science Center and the National Geographic Society. Nancee has extensive experience creating, researching, and coordinating teacher professional development (with intent to always include some technology initiatives), as well as STEM/geography curriculum and education programs. When Nancee is not building programs or partnerships that support life-long learners, she can be found on the trails, in the swimming pool, in the kitchen or on the dance floor.
- Jim Proctor (Portland, OR). Jim Proctor was born and raised in Canyonville, where he was active in Boy Scouts, the local Methodist Church, and school music and sports. After graduating from the University of Oregon, Jim served in the Peace Corps in Africa for four years, then returned for advanced studies in engineering, environmental science, and geography. Jim taught environmental geography at the University of California, Santa Barbara from 1992 to 2005, then moved to Lewis & Clark College in Portland, where he has served from 2005 to the present as Professor and Director of Environmental Studies.
- Joy Proctor (Portland, OR). Joy Proctor is a celebrity event designer and editorial stylist. She has been named top wedding planner by Harpers Bazaar and Brides Magazine. In addition to her event work, Joy is regarded as one of the most highly sought after editorial stylists and creative directors in her field. Her work as a speaker, capsule collection line with Bella Bella shoes and others collaborations have earned her global recognition as a trend setter in the wedding industry. Joy serves as the creative director and social media manager for ACCF.
- Phil Rich (Riddle, OR). Phil Rich is a retired educator, having taught junior high for 28 years up through 2001. He was raised in Arizona, received a B.S. in education in 1971 and a M.S. in guidance counseling psychology in 1976. Phil’s most recent teaching position was with the South Umpqua School District in southern Douglas County.
- Americorps Worker: We welcome Kobe Rossi as our Americorps worker for 2021-22! More information on Kobe soon.
- School Coordinator (Position to be filled fall 2021)
- Site Caretaker (Position to be filled fall 2021)